F-1 Practical training

Foreign students seeking to study in the U.S. may enter in the F-1 category provided they meet the following criteria:

  • The student must be enrolled in an “academic” educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program;
  • The school must be approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS);
  • The student must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution;
  • The student must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency;
  • The student must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study; and
  • The student must maintain a residence abroad which he/she has no intention of giving up.

The F-1 Practical Training (PT) Visa is normally issued to graduates holding a Bachelor’s degree or higher, but is sometimes issued prior to graduation. The candidate holding an F-1 PT Visa must also hold an EAD (Employee Authorization Document). The EAD will have an expiration date no more than 1 year from the date of graduation. (Employers: if you have any doubt, ask candidate to fax a copy of the EAD to you.)

An F-1 candidate may accept any job that offers bona fide practical training in his degree field.

A hiring company may hire an F-1 holder immediately without any consideration given to any U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.

On expiration date, the F-1 holder must have secured another kind of visa (typically H-1B) or stop working. The F-1 visa cannot be extended or renewed.

For further information, please visit the USCIS web site.


Contact ADV:
Phone: 416-502-2545
E-mail: contact@advtechnical.com